Sunday, April 02, 2006

Read Child of God, by Lolita Files

I just finished reading Child of God, by Lolita Files and it was a great read. It kept me turning pages deep into the night until I had completed it in its entirity. I really enjoyed the flow of the book. I just cannot believe it took me this long to hear about this writer. This is her 5th or 6th book. Previous works include, 'Tastes like Chicken',

I do not think that anyone but Shakespeare could pull off a story with this much of the drama; incest, rape, murder, abuse, homosexuality, and intrigue, but Ms. Files gives it a try with this tale. It was seamless. Relative to Shakespeare, there is more than just a bit of similarity. Files even throws in a Hamlet and an Ophelia for effect.

The cast of characters in the Boten family is a bunch of mixed nuts. There is the crazy aunt from Louisiana, of course--aren't we all Voodoo princesses with snakes on our necks!-- that casts spells and curses on members of the family. There is a brother and sister that don't seem to know wrong from right and it almost hurts you to want to tell them the truth because Files has made them so endearing to the reader. There is pain and there is tragedy, but I think you leave the tale more compassionate than when you started. One can never just look at a person and know their story. If you look to deeply, you might be surprised by what you find.

Debating about starting the Sister Souljah book, 'The Coldest Winter Ever', tonight. I have never read any of her books, but I did catch a clip of Jada Pinkett Smith recommending this particular novel. Now, the Sister Souljah I remember was a militant from the late 80's that was a frequent Geraldo guest on the shows with the Klan. You remember, when the chairs would get tossed across the room Pre-Springer. I don't actually recall if she was in anyone of those battles, but it was the era just the same. Talk show hosts were never able to wrap their mouths around her name and purposefully/mistakenly called her "Sista Soldier".

Now she did fit the description if I recall. I don't remember everything about her, but I do remember boots and leather. I think I was sportin' biker shorts and neon sweaters at the time, though. It was "Ain't too proud to beg" in those days...but believe me, I was far too proud. Still am. What I do remember is that she had the most perfect set of lips I had ever seen. They were full and round, pouty and proud at the same time. Hmm, was that when we lined our lips with black liner??? Did she ever do that? Uggh, did I?

Her topics back then centered on Black empowerment and I wasn't really ready to hear all that. I spent my youth listening to my father's lectures. I knew all I needed to know about Black empowerment...or so I thought until I took my first Black History course in college, back in 1992. When I got my first essay back, I remember being so pissed at myself and the instructor. How does a Black woman get a B on an essay on the Civil Rights movement? I still think he was just pissed because I was down on the people that led the movement, thinking they fell apart in the 80's and 90's. Alas, there was Sister Souljah, bringing it back to the forefront.

I wasn't listening though. What I was listening to was Prince, because I lived somewhere between Paisley Park and Glam Slam back then, rarely seeing my own apartment. I used to bring my clothes for the club to work with me and dress in the bathroom after my shift at the Record Shop and do my make up on the way to the club. Always arriving fashionably late, but fashionable just the same. I would stay out until the club closed, head to Paisley for the after party and make it home when the sun came up, just in time to catch a cat nap before I had to be at the Jewelry store, or shoe store or card shop...whichever it was that was filling the time until I went back to the Record Shop.

I was still coming down from the California move with my girls where we were just into peace, love and happiness. This story will have to wait for the memoir, which is nearly completed. All this is reminding me of the sounds of the day, though.

Music to drive across the country to:
1) Sisters of Mercy-This Corrosion
2) Violent Femmes-Blister in the Sun
3) Bob Marley-All of the Legend album
4) The Doors-Entire collection, especially Break On thru which is what was playing when we arrived in L.A.
5) De La Soul- Me, Myself and I
6) Maxi Priest- Close to you ( OOOH how I loved that man-wonder what he looks like today)
7) Wilson Philips/EnVouge- Hold On ( completely different songs)
8) Pop will eat itself and S'Express from the Club mixes
9) The Cure- Entire collection
10) Prince- Entire collection


Ahh, the days of wild!

No comments: