Friday, February 23, 2007

Me and Amazon.com

Alright...I need to stop. I have been ordering on Amazon like crazy this month. A long extended Valentine's day gift to myself....like every other day! I have 3 orders from yesterday in transit. It wasn't purposeful. But hey, shopping happens and I'm 3rd generation shopper. It's in my genes. Oh, which reminds me. I bought the cutest jeans yesterday too. I'm so vain, I know she wrote that damn song about me. KIDDING!

But here's the deal; I got tickets to Harry Connick Jr. last weekend while I was on my "Mom needs a writer's retreat at a hotel" and I needed the cds. He released two and they are all Nola based tunes and you know how I do. If it's home, I'm in. Plus, I can can, I know that I can, I know damn well I can work it out. Giggles.

Speaking of working it out, I have lost 40 pounds. I'm not trying to look around and see where they went. I'm not all that interested. No diet was neccessary. Just contentment. It's amazing what singing in your soul can do for your body. Now if only I could stop this compulsion to listen to certain rap ( mind you, not hip hop...but skanky skrippa pole rap) and do the booty shake, I would be somewhere. Belly dancing is helping but that's still too close to the damn pole. At least being in my 30s, financially stable and a soccer mom, assures me that I won't be hitting the pole anytime soon...but maybe one day, privately, I'll get a pole for my bedroom. What a shameful hussy I can be. Told you I can work it out! You betta ask somebody!

I picked up another Mary J. cd and John Legend's latest but I debate over Earth, Wind and Fire's Gratitude. My first concert when I was 7, back in 1978 and I remember being wowed. All the lights in that show just set my mind a buzz. Then to see that many Black folks on stage...I was like "whatever that is, I want some". It's not my gift though. I can walk a stage...not stand there and do anything. 'And the award goes to' happens to work well for me. I'm good with that, but back to the matter...I wanted that cd but it's all remastered and I didn't want to taint those memories just yet. I wanted to get someplace and write about them, uncluttered and without any newly invented memories from that cd. Once I get that done, I'll pick up the cd. Oooh, but I did get an older George Michael. I've been rocking Songs in the Key of Life all week. Cannot get away from "As" and G.M. and Mary J. did a remake of it a bit ago. The video is weak. Budget high, concept low. Hated it!

I also bought a few new books, some Burt's bees lotion..and why I bought that from Amazon when it's at my local frou frou grocery store, I do not know. I really do not know. It wasn't a savings..but there is something to knowing that it will be at my front door in 20 minutes. Ok..overnight delivery is a problem too. But I didn't do that for all of the orders. Just one. I bought a belt buckle with my name on it from Ebay. Um....I'm 36 years old. WHERE THE HELL AM I GONNA WEAR THAT? See, this is what happens when I write about my youth. I start thinking I'm 23 again and I'm looking at all these lil boys rapping from Hot Lanta and getting ideas, but I would break those poor children. I'm not Cameron and Lloyd ain't Justin...oooh and not with one single anyway. LMAO! It might work for Demi and Ashton but I won't be having kids in my 40s and I won't be raising any spouses. I leave that to the men of my age group.

Awww...I just saw a cute skit on Noggin--watching cartoons with my son--and it was two little girls doing the familiar game of hand clapping, singing about August Wilson to honor Black History Month. I'll hold my tongue that we only get a month, shortest month, and that somehow a history that included White people doing some dirt gets ignored and chucked up to Black history month. That's kinda like talking about how Tina Turner "overcame" without mentioning that it was Ike's ABUSE that she overcame. Oooh, here I go. I was in a good place. Let me stop tripping. Another day, girl. Another day. In through the nose, out through the month. Exhaling all damn day! LOL!

No comments: