Friday, March 02, 2007

17 inches of snow on the wall

It's 7:30am and I just rescued my dog from the snow bank outside my office door. Ok, it's not an office, it's a garage, but I do have a desk, tv and laptop here...so by the narrowest ( most narrow) of margins, it qualifies during the breaks I take out here.

Like every other day, I opened the door, expected Sable to go barrelling through it and do her thing but today she took a few steps, I turned back to my desk and sat down in my office chair ( yep, that's here too) and then she started whining to come back in. The snow was taller than she can stand in and not sink and she's a pretty large Black lab. Well, she's more than large and in truth, I need to call Bob Greene and get her started on her Best Life ever diet because she needs fries with her shake and shimmy and she's only 9.

So, I let her back in the house where the mini me(s) are enjoying a hot breakfast because all of the schools are closed. I'm listening to George Michael's Twenty Five again because it was in the Mary J. Reflection's cd case which by default means Mary J is on top of the radio, a lady in waiting. It's going to be a productive day so she'll get her turn.

I woke up early to see the snow totals across the state and see if in fact that schools had closed and I could tell darling daughter to go back to bed once more. Affirmative on all accounts. Then I switched from local to CNN and caught the Anna Nicole debacle on it's last legs.

Anna will be laid to rest today next to her son in the Bahamas, as well she should have been 3 weeks ago. Just the other day my mother made me promise not to take 3 weeks to bury her when she passes. I reminded her that we'll be neighbors in the nursing home, thanks to her unbridled teenage passion and that we should go look for a two for one deal on plots at some point. Keep her laughing now...that's all I can do.

She told me she wants to be buried near me and asked if I was planning to be buried here or in Louisiana. Crazy as it sounds, when I spent all that time bedridden, I did think about this topic and I told her that I want to go home and be buried with our family. She then reminded me that the family church plots are over crowded and I said, "Well, hell, running Uncle Robert over ain't nothing new. I'm sure he doesn't mind at this point and company might do him well." By the time we go, Alex will be lakeshore property anyway so we may as well buy up now. I ain't skeered.

I told her about this newish thing I heard about where you are cremated and turned into a diamond, a thought my husband had for me that I quickly dismissed. It's a brown diamond! Where am I gonna wear that? Plus, if he can't give me a set and it's not a carat for each ear, what's the point? There is that and then there is the question of what his next wife may want because I'm not so sure that I'll be in a position to make those executive decisions for him for much longer. LOL! Besides, it feels freaky to walk around with a person on your person. That's just not normal. Neither is this entry but still.

No comments: