Sunday, February 25, 2007

Curious and Curious-er

Yeah...Alice in Wonderland quotes. Been a dreamy kinda day.

I've been doing a lot of writing today and so I'm numbing a bit with the music video channels serving as background noise. It helps me hit upon topics I wouldn't otherwise. I just saw two Vanessa Williams videos ( The Right Stuff and Work to Do) and remembered how I loved those songs. I think it's because I was coming of age and she looks just like my mom. That kinda sucked growing up during those periods when she was single because well, what 16 year old boy wouldn't look at a woman like that and say "THAT's your mom". I just rolled my eyes just as I used to when I would hear that line. I drew the line the week of prom when I heard it. I skipped the shin dig altogether and told him to take my mom instead. I don't even regret it. LOL!

Now watching Amy Winehouse "You know I'm no good". Gosh, it's bad girl anthem week or something. This woman has a great voice but as much as I like the vibe of the song I can't see myself singing along because well, I know I'm some good. She might not be. That's on her. LOL! If she tells me that's who she is, then I'm gonna believe her. A nod to the great ones. The song is about a woman that cheats on her boyfriend with an ex and basically isn't sorry for it and get this, he's alright with it thinking that it's gonna change when they get married. Um, as the sum product of parents and step parents that married each other and other people 21 times, I can guarantee that cheaters never stop being cheaters and their favorite person to cheat is usually themselves.

Not going to do a play by play of videos...but Lisa Stansfield is on now. Hmmm, the cycles of music. Finish this: Lisa Stansfield is to circa 1988 ( around then) as BLANK is to 2006. Answer:

Joss Stone.

That was an easy one. But how about finding the link between Lena Horne, Diahann Carrol, Vanessa Williams and Beyonce? It's book worthy actually. Oooo speaking of links, Al Sharpton just had a press conference to reveal that a leading genealogist had determined him to be related to Strom Thurmon. My only comment, "Awww hell naw". I'm not sure I would announce that. But ya know, whatever floats your boat. Oh My..they just played Jonathon Butler's "Lies".

I know I said I was done, but when BET video soul came out and oh Donnie Simpson....oooo, oooo, oooo and I was like 13 so way too young to be saying ooo, ooo, ooo to Donnie...but anyway, they had like 10 videos and "Lies" was one of them. That, Randy Hall, what else? Why do I just remember the fine men? That was the year we moved to "The City". I became acutely aware of the fact that for the first time in my life, I was neither the only Black person in a room and that there was more to being attractive than having blonde hair, blue eyes and being an Amy or Jenny. No offense as two of my closest friends happen to have both blonde hair, blue eyes and are Amy and Jenny. But still. I remember an old Prince special on Paisley Park that said Minneapolis was the whitest city in America. LMAO! Well, yeah. It is. And the most open to Interracial dating and marriage. Wrote a song about, wanna hear it, here it goes. Giggles.

Again, being the sum product of so many of those and having parents that both married several spouses of other ethnicities and then doing it myself, I can't say a thing but suffice to say, I don't take part in conversations about the destruction of the Black family. Hell, I unwittingly bought a front row seat. Thing is...maybe my contribution isn't nearly as great as some others. So when Snoop stops C-walking in videos, Nelly n'Dem stop wearing grills made of Blood and conflict diamonds and Diddy and BirdMan stop appearing in and producing videos that depict women as nothing but ass, maybe then I'll consider adding my name to the list of confessors. Until then....

Well, I guess that's really a pivotal issue anymore, at this point, but 12 years was a good run for any marriage...especially one that started from a chance meeting at a Grateful Dead concert. I'm so damned open minded I hurt my own brain cells sometimes. See..say no to drugs. You go out one night and it's all about Tyson Beckford and the next day, you're in wedded bliss with Taylor Hicks. LMAO! I won't have another Sex on the beach...I'll tell ya that! Not that there is anything wrong with Taylor Hicks or my own personal Taylor because there wasn't. But most people don't fit the things they did at 35 as they fit when they were 25. You should. You want to. You try....but sometimes, you just don't. But hey, that's another story, isn't it?

Ok...back to work and VH-1 soul. Oh My..Corrine Bailey Rae, "Like a star". TIMING! Curious and Curious-er. There are no such things as coincidences.

No comments: