Tuesday, February 27, 2007

It's going to be a write kinda day.

I awoke this morning to a phone call at 7:20 from MissLin. Now, she knows that even before my daughter started school, I don't usually crawl from bed until 8:30. A call before the time people expect me up triggers panic in me. It makes me think that someone died, though I have always told people that know me don't call me late at night or early in the morning especially if someone died. They'll still be gone when I get up. Ya know?

Well, Lin was like, "Turn on the Today show" and I asked what time it was. Truth be told, I was awake but not UP. I have kids. I have to be awake at that hour but I don't have to function well yet. I write late at night. I don't punch in 9 to 5 and I don't sleep from 10pm to 6am, so I wasn't quite all there, but she told me that they were doing a show on something called "The Secret". Good news travels fast, I guess. I thought about it for a second and then I was like, "Girl, you are in Vermont...I'm on CENTRAL TIME. I get the taped edition of the Today show." The segment that aired would have to catch me in an hour, but in the mean time, I spoke for a bit about 'The Secret' with Lin and explained that I was already aware of it and had blogged and written about it but I thanked her for thinking of me first thing in the morning when she saw it. As there are no coincidences, it served as a bright reminder on how I should start my day and that was working towards honoring my essence. That, I can do.

The reason Lin found the segment interesting could also be called a coincidence, if they existed, but in reality, she believed the author of 'The Secret' (Note: Rhonda Byrnes is the author) to be a lifecoach, Rhonda Britton along with Iyanla Vanzant, that produced a reality tv show about the lives of women, sent to live in a house together to work on their goals and become the people they have always wanted to be. She and I met on a message board for that show 3 plus years ago when we were both addicted to the show and probably seeking the same end goal as many of the women on the show. It's interesting how things have worked out. She was single as single could be back then, just ending an early career in politics and still trying to find her way in the world and I was "happily married", defined by the ills of my health and trying desperately to figure out where I stepped off my path to the world. None of those things are our truths anymore...and we're both the better for it. She has a beautiful 2 year old and moved across country with her parents where they all work as teachers now and well, suffice to say, I'm none of the things I once was. It bears no need for explanation. But the ring of that phone was certainly a signal to reflect and mark some progress so that is what I will do today.

Ah, just now I caught that segment on 'The Secret' on the Today show. Dr. Gail Saltz goes head to head with James Arthur Ray to discuss the topic and they feature the Newsweek article that I wrote about earlier this week. What I find troubling is that the detractors are really buying into this theory that people are dumb...and that somehow they are helping us weed out the big bad monster of positive thought through the law of attraction. They cite the example of the woman from The Secret dvd that was diagnosed with cancer and lived her way through it until it was gone.

Well, she isn't an anamoly. People have survived cancer. Most don't do that by laying in bed, not getting treatment and resigning themselves to the thought that they are going to die. What's so difficult to grasp about that? Where is the harm in wanting to be better and then BEING better? I've said this before, but ask anyone that has achieved their goals if they believed they could do it and 9.9999 times out of 10, they will tell you that they most certainly did. Otherwise, what would have been the point?

That's not to say there is no work involved. The brain is an organ that we don't truly understand. We only use a fraction of it on a regular basis and no one really knows what the rest is for. There is much unknown about the human body, let alone spirit, so who is anyone to say what is and is not? The proof that it works is in the pudding. Ask people that even before this book were guided by these principals. Before I read the book, I was already coming out of a slump, but prior to that, I always charted my own course and it flowed on track for much of my life. The bumps were things I helped to create and I bought into. That's common sense. There is no way to explain the vast miracles in our lives if we don't leave room for something beyond just ourselves working in concert with ourselves.

People that want to discount the theory will use a play on someone wanting a parking spot and envisioning themselves getting on, or someone wanting a high performance sports car and getting it to say it's all brain goo. Well, would they have gotten that car or spot if they DIDN'T want it? It's not rocket science.

I should post the writings I did as I watched "The Secret" for the first time because although I was well on my way out of the doldrums, I lept out after "The Secret". I heard messages from God fully deciphered for the first time in years and I was ready for them. For the first time in my life, I was able to move through my day without hearing taunts from my father, from rapists, from the unworthy and unwelcome and abusers. That's no joke. I had been waking up with this pretense that I needed to battle those and slay dragons and I found my body not strong enough for the challenge and it literally broke me.

Fibromyalgia is short code for everything hurts and that's no coincidence either. I hurt for 5 years and I gave into that. I ate so many pills that I pee Merck stock. But it didn't take me. It allowed me to see that I was more than just muscles that ached, bones that hurt. I could have laid down and died at any point after I was 5 years old but I didn't. I kept moving and I kept growing and I kept getting better and better. I wasn't weak. I wasn't battered. I was frightened by my own strength. Baby, it took a lot to try to hold me down and that made me fierce. It made me ME. So while I'm not going to have a dinner party with dear old dud and two rapists anytime soon, I know that the experiences that I had gave me something I would not have otherwise had. Will. Perserverence. The sheer magnitude of my strength. If I chose to, I could change the world with what I have harnessed from those experiences and inspire generations.Well, I am choosing to.

No comments: