Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I say a little prayer for you...

An hour ago, my mother called me to tell me that her paperwork was in order and that she wanted me to know that for the first time in her life, a doctor called her at home. She had been having some pain in her leg and side and went to urgent care and the on duty physician stayed on her case and even consulted with another doctor that called her today. They found a 9mm tumor in her femur. I gave her the reply she called for. I told her that I loved her and not to worry. I made her laugh. I teased her and reminded her that her daddy had a peg leg, which is kinda funny since that’s one of those caps my uncles and aunts used to use on me IN FRONT of my grandfather when we would play spades and talk smack over the board. I told her not to worry. I offered to go to the follow up appointments with her. Then I told her not to worry again. Typical of her, she said, 'Oh I wasn't worried, but just letting you know, you might be next." To which I replied "See, I hope you get termites, Peg." My mom and I, we're just like that. It's the 15 year age gap. When my 3 year old asked her once who her mother was, she told him it was me. She wasn't lying.

What’s more, I added her to the growing list of people that it hitting Jamaica this Spring. She questioned whether Jamiaca was the right spot because she wasn’t sure how clean it was, then she informed me that she had just bought some jerk sauce and asked me how to use it. I reminded her that she is the one that taught me how to cook, which means neither of us have a clue how to use that sauce or any other. It was then that she decided to invite my aunt BayBay to join us for the trip. BayBay owns a restaurant in CenLa so at least she learned how to cook as well as Mama ( my maternal grandmother) does. Then I ended the call and gave my mother a parting chuckle by telling her that “What happens in Jamaica, stays in Jamaica”. She roared with laughter at that.

Now, that leaves me to my thoughts, my feelings and my writing. I can only do one right now. The end.

No comments: